Saturday, May 21, 2011

Gypsy Poulston's resume

Gypsy was born on 25th May 1923 in Amberley, North Canterbury, where her father, Warden Browne, was Postmaster. She lived in Amberley, Rakaia, Waipukarau and Greymouth before her family moved to Timaru when she was 17. She attended Timaru Girls’ High School, and worked at McGruer Davies as a display artist, where she met her husband Edwin Poulston, who worked there as a display manager. They married in January 1946 at St Mary’s. their work as published in display magazines world wide.

She first worked at Craighead as a relieving teacher, but became a permanent member of staff and an important part of the Craighead family, initially teaching art to Art Prelim level, but later teaching History of Art as a University Entrance subject. Her last year teaching at Craighead was 1974.

Her art was influenced by New Zealand artist Louise Henderson, and later by cubism, which she studied in order to teach the concepts and major principles. She was selected for study with Toss Wollaston at a Canterbury art workshop, and also studied with him privately. She worked in charcoal, conté, oil, watercolour, and Oamaru stone.

Gypsy exhibited twice in Vancouver (one painting was selected to represent Canada on a Canadian tour) where her son lives, as well as in Wellington, Nelson, Christchurch, Timaru, Oamaru and Dunedin, where she exhibited as part of a group. She has work in the Auckland, Christchurch, and Timaru art galleries.

Gypsy worked closely with her husband Eddie, designing the murals they worked on together. In Timaru their work can be seen on the Coat of Arms hanging high about the council building, and her own work, the Nurses’ mural at the entrance to Timaru Hospital. She also designed several contemporary stained glass windows around Timaru:

Craighead chapel in 1973
St Johns Anglican Church in 1976
Woodlands Road Methodist Church in 1978
Wilson St. Baptist Church

Gypsy lives independently at The Croft in Timaru, New Zealand.

No comments:

Followers